How to Increase Return on Ad Spend on Facebook Ads with a Bot
MobileMonkey enables automated follow-up as the after-click experience of a Facebook Ad that points people to chat with a business on Facebook Messenger.
If reducing cost per lead of Facebook Ads is your most important goal in getting started with MobileMonkey, this guide will help you implement the tools in MobileMonkey to support those goals.
Here are the 4 steps to increasing Return on Ad Spend on Facebook Ads with a bot:
- Set up your Facebook Ad account.
- Create an ad in Facebook Ads Manager with the "Messages" objective.
- Create a Click-to-Messenger ad in MobileMonkey and "Sync an existing ad created in Ads Manager".
- Follow-up with leads manually or automatically or export leads to share with your teams.
Click-to-Messenger ads are an advanced MobileMonkey feature, so make sure you upgrade your account first.
- If you're on the PRO plan you can launch one click-to-Messenger ad.
- If you're on the Unicorn or Team plans you can launch an unlimited number of click-to-Messenger ads.
Step 1: Set up your Facebook Ad account.
Follow this guide to set up your Facebook Ad account.
Already have an ad account set up on Facebook? That's great — you can skip this step.
Heads up: You will need to be an admin on the business's Facebook Ads account in order to connect a MobileMonkey bot to that business's Facebook ad.
The next step will be to create an ad using one of two possible methods.
For the sake of simplicity, we will use the "Sync an existing ad created in Ads Manager" method. If you'd rather use the "Create ad directly in MobileMonkey" method jump to step 2 here.
Step 2: Create an ad in Facebook Ads Manager with the "Messages" objective.
Creating a Facebook Ad has 3 parts; this is what we'll be doing here in step 2:
1. Ad Campaign: The ad campaign is where you set up your marketing objective. A campaign may contain multiple ad sets.
2. Ad Set: The ad set is where you set up your audience targeting, ad placement, and scheduling (when you want the ad to run. An ad set may contain multiple ads.
3. Ad: The ad is where you set up what the audience will see, including the text (headline, description, and body copy) and media (image, video, image carousel).
Let's create an ad in Facebook Ads Manager. Go to facebook.com/adsmanager. Select the Ad Account, select the Campaigns tab and click "Create."
Select the "Create New Campaign" option and choose "Messages" as your marketing objective.
Enter an ad campaign name and click Continue.
Now it's time to create the Ad Set. You will select "Click to Message" as your ad type and "Messenger" as the destination messaging app.
Next, choose your target audience, select your ad placements (which Facebook properties you'd like your ad to run), select your budget and schedule, and click "Continue" to proceed.
We're in the third step of creating a Facebook ad, setting up the ad that people will see.
Name the Ad, select the Facebook Page (it should be a Facebook Page connected to MobileMonkey), and select the Format (single image or video are the most popular).
In the Ad Creative section, upload an image or video, and customize Text, Headline and Call to Action button.
Click "Publish" to complete this step. The ad will go into a queue for approval by Facebook to check that the ad meets Facebook's ad policies.
Step 3: Create a Click-to-Messenger (CTM) ad in MobileMonkey and "Sync an existing ad created in Ads Manager".
This is the part of the ad setup where you reduce your cost of lead generation by automating the Messenger experience.
With a MobileMonkey bot instantly greeting and qualifying new contacts, you qualify leads automatically, saving you the time of sifting through unqualified leads.
With the ad "In Review" status, you will be able to sync a click-to-Messenger bot-powered experience to the ad using MobileMonkey.
This step has 3 parts:
1. Choosing your MobileMonkey CTM ad setup.
2. Creating the bot dialogue.
3. Automatically sync the MobileMonkey CTM ad to the ad created in Facebook Ads.
First, name the CTM ad and choose "Sync an existing ad created in Ads Manager" from the set up options.
Next, design the dialogue for the Messenger bot experience.
You will want to recreate your lead qualification funnel in chatbot form.
To do this, use widgets to add text, questions, images and other content to the dialogue.
If you are just getting started with MobileMonkey's bot builder, review this overview of dialogues and content widgets.
After you've recreated your lead qualification funnel in bot format, it's time to sync the automated Messenger experience to the Facebook ad you created in step 2.
Choose "Sync automatically" and after selecting your ad account from the drop-down, continue to select the ad campaign from the drop-down and check the ad or ads within the ad set or sets that you want to connect to the bot dialogue you designed.
Optionally (and recommended) in the Advanced settings, check the box to create an audience from the contacts created as a result of this ad campaign.
Step 4: Follow-up with leads manually or automatically or export leads to share with your teams.
This final step of the ad setup process will further reduce your lead gen costs by automating the connection between qualified leads and your other marketing automation and business systems.
MobileMonkey is a full-featured marketing automation system so you have a lot of options here. Choose any or many of the following:
- View and export the leads created from this campaign. Share the export with your team. Learn about audiences here.
- Add a Zap widget in the dialogue to automatically send leads from this ad to your other business systems for automated follow-up and nurture using Zapier. Learn about Zapier integrations here.
- Follow-up with leads from the multi-user inbox for desktop or mobile. Learn about the inbox here.
Next Steps for Increasing Your Return on Ad Spend with MobileMonkey
Do you want to nudge a contact who hasn't finished the bot dialogue? Learn about automation rules.
Do you want to follow up with your Messenger contacts? Learn how to re-engage contacts in Messenger at any time with Sponsored Messages.
Do you have questions about any of these steps for implementing a click-to-Messenger ad?
MobileMonkey is here to help. Start chatting with us when logged into MobileMonkey or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.